Tuesday 26 October 2010

Guessing game: Newcastle preview

Trying to read Arsene's mind is a bit like picking lottery numbers at times, even so I thought I'd have a go at predicting an eleven for Wednesday's game against Newcastle. Newcastle will play a full strength side I would imagine, we will not, but it will still be a fairly experienced and robust eleven. I hope that Szczesny gets a chance in goal and it would be a good opportunity for him to stake a claim to the no2 slot. Eboue and Gibbs are likely to be the full backs, I would guess that the experience of Squillaci will be retained and the fit again Koscielny will play on the left of the two centre backs. Maybe Arsene will stick with Djourou and Koscielny as he did against the spuds in the previous round

The midfield will be interesting. Wilshere is suspended, I can't see Cesc being risked, Song will probably also be rested. This would leave a likely midfield three of Denilson, Rosicky and Lansbury. I'm not sure where Diaby was at the weekend and whether it was injury that kept him out of action, maybe he will feature, I don't know. Up front Bendtner looks likely to start, Theo will surely play up there too, and I would absolutely love to see the outstanding talent that is JET get a start, he deserves it now. This would make my eleven roughly:

Szczesny
Eboue Squillaci/Djourou Koscielny Gibbs
Lansbury Denilson Rosicky
Theo Bendtner JET/Diaby

It would not surprise me if the midfield were to be slightly beefier, with Diaby in for Rosicky, Rosicky moved to the front three and JET benched. Newcastle have some powerful physical specimens in the form of Carroll and Nolan, so there's no doubt that we'll be tested in the air on more than one occasion. Hopefully Aneke, Afobe and JET will all get some kind of run out too. I'm looking forward to the game, it is potentially a fascinating tie and another great opportunity for some of the less proven talents to show just what they can do.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

You honestly believe we are going to risk more than 4 or 5 first teamers less than a week before or North East Derby?

Anonymous said...

our*

1979gooner said...

if you look at my side then there are only two from the weekend's side in there:

denilson and squillaci/djourou

he will play some first team squad players for sure

Rhinogooner said...

I reckon Vela will be in there somewhere 1979.

1979gooner said...

I hope not.

I have been distinctly unimpressed with him in recent months, not enough drive or commitment.

Vela has this season to do something and if he doesn't then he needs to go.

Anonymous said...

Vela needs more opportunities. You say he has this season to do something, but he can't do anything without the chance to do it. And I wouldn't be surprised to see Eastmond out there.

1979gooner said...

Vela has had quite a few chances.

He has invariably disappointed when he has started.

Δωρεαν στοιχημα said...

Wenger will probably use younger players. However, his job with them is perfect and now they are ready to play such difficult matches. He has never won Carling Cup but he wants to win the Premier League or the Champions League